Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Treasure of Six Months Later


Wow. Its been six months. Six whole months that I’ve had to enjoy this sabbatical.  So much to consider. So much to think about, and so much to plan for - - all wrapped up into this one moment.

Six months ago, I embarked on an idea that no one I knew had ever done. Six months ago, a few people said I was very brave for doing this. Six months ago, many people said that what I was doing was a very cool thing. Whatever the viewpoint, or life experience that influenced their comments, I can honestly say that this sabbatical idea is something I am glad to be doing.  And, I encourage others to seriously consider it for themselves.

Taking the idea of working ones entire life and then retiring at the golden age of 65(ish) to enjoy the fruits of hard earned IRA’s, pensions, 401(k)’s, roth’s, and stocks, seems like a generally accepted idea in our culture.  However, at that point I may not have the same health as I do now.  I may not have the same beautiful people in my life, as I do now. So enjoying those fruits at that golden age time, may need to be done in a different way. Certainly these were not the reasons why I embarked on a sabbatical in the first place.  Although, they have complimented this sabbatical idea in a unique way that I did not expect.  

Now, I’m not opposed to the generally accepted idea of retirement. I believe that it is a good thing to think about and plan for ones future, and even exercise patience to retire at the correct time. I know many folks who have done this, and have done it very well. I am thankful to God for these wise examples of longterm thinking people in my life. I also know many folks who are passed the magical age of 65 and still need to work hard at their career, because, for a variety of reasons, they are not able to stop. For these folks, I stand in awe and sincere respect of the burden they carry.

Looking differently at the idea of retirement opens me up to questions that I enjoy contemplating. Using this time on my sabbatical, exploring the possibility of changing my long term operations is one of the contemplative thoughts I revisit. One question that I often consider is “does work have to be something I retire from”? Couldn’t I just live a more simple life and embark on a career that I truly enjoy - - maybe enjoy enough to never stop doing it? It may mean a smaller income for me, but if I am given more time to invest in my family and community, wouldn’t that bear a kind of fruit that I could taste even now - instead of waiting till my golden years? Obviously, I cannot ignore the reality of financial responsibilities in my life. Having a mortgage, a family, automobiles, taxes, insurance...these things aren’t going to disappear simply because I want to live more simple, or simply enjoy life. Addressing these real life responsibilities is crucial, and I am realizing the the possible creative ways at how this can be done enjoyably....to be continued.


Whether that enjoyable task is renovating homes, building strategic solutions for businesses, working at a soup kitchen, or baking cupcakes, I’m learning that work is a gift, and a culture focused on security is overrated.  For me, common sense prevails: the lily of the valley blossoms, and food for the sparrow is provided. So will my needs be met, at the submission of my will to the Kingdom of God.

Seeing as how I’m being unconventional in the first place (by taking this beautiful leave of rest), I’m grateful to have experienced so much with the people most valuable to me. Having nearly four weeks of camping with my family, and a two week pilgrimage to one of the holiest sites in Christendom, I’ve been impacted in a way that nothing else could.  When I sprinkle in the various experiences from Santa-Maria, or by visiting the Fr. Solanus Casey center, I begin to see the real need of enjoying each moment and living fully in it. Time truly is an asset, and the poorest people in the world seem to be stuck with only large quantities of money. Furthering that thought; the asset of time is only an asset if I recognize the gift that it truly is.

So, here I am. Six months into this incredible journey. The places I’ve visited, the conflicts I’ve had, the relationships that have experienced change...I wonder...could this sabbatical just keep on, keeping on? Does it really need to come to an end? Of course, I’ll need to earn an income at some point and manage the responsibilities that God has richly blessed me with.  But inclusive of all this, what if I began to treat every decision with a responsible view of sabbatical rest? Could I add in a new career or a new life change of some kind, and still operate in that mode of contemplative rest? Ah, perhaps this is that wealth that some experience by simply [responsibly] enjoying the moment. 

Bring on the challenge, the missteps, the adventure, the excitement, the mistakes and the rewards.  In the end, a pure and just heart submissive to almighty God and redeemed by His grace is really all that I can own.

No comments:

Post a Comment