Monday, June 17, 2013

They Love Their Neighborhood


For me, a neighborhood conjures up images of family filled homes, kids riding bikes, summer time excitement and all sorts of Americana that seems to be pulled right out of a given popular 90‘s TGIF sitcom.  Though I’m not disillusioned to realize that neighborhoods vary because of so many circumstances. Some have kids riding bikes and basketball played in the street under the watchful eye of caring adults.  Some have vacant homes, tall weeds and dope dealers. My neighborhood has all of this, so when I hear that someone loves their neighborhood, it catches my attention.

This past Thursday afternoon, I was outside while my kids rode their bicycles up and down the block.  A few houses down, there were 10-12 kids playing basketball in the street, and another 4 or 5 younger kids were riding their bikes and “yelling” jokes at each other. My kids went right along with it having a real good time.  School was out for the summer, and staying up late was now on the radar. While all of this was happening, a neighbor of mine was sitting on her porch admiring her beautiful front yard.  She and I got to talking about the open house she’ll be hosting and other things. As she looked at all the kids running around, and the responsible busyness of our street, she says, “You know? I love this neighborhood”. We both smiled and I knew exactly why she loved this place: the kids, the innocence, the playfulness of the community...I get it.

On Friday, I had scheduled some of my time to help another neighbor who is well into her 70’s, maybe 80 very soon - no one really knows. Her front yard would make a rain forest jealous and she just needs help pruning things back.....to put it lightly.  She and I are busy trimming the crowded trees, clearing overgrowth on sidewalks, and pulling up poison ivy while the sun is out and kids are playing. She looks at me with a huge toothy grin and says, “You know? I love this neighborhood”. I smiled back at her, knowing what she meant: the kids playing, the help with her yard, the sun shining, the catalpas blooming...I picked up on that real quick.

Saturday evening, we put the kids to bed after 9pm and my beautiful wife, Jenn, and I decide to take a walk.  Its dusk out, other kids are still playing hoops, riding bicycles and mini-bikes with missing mufflers.  We mosey down the sidewalk receiving and sharing greetings with kids and the adults.  It’s a summertime night, just getting started here.

As we approach the end of the block, we connect with two ladies sitting on the porch of the home belonging to one of them.  Next door is an abandoned bungalow home, which has been broken into a number of times.  Its thigh-high grass gives it a despairing feel and rotting plywood cover the windows.  But, these ladies are enjoying some music and a couple of 40oz’s, laughing their stressful week goodbye. One lady has five children and makes a little better than minimum wage at a call center a few miles away. Her car is broke, relies on an unreliable bus system and has very little help from her man. We are greeted with clumsy words of joy and off-target handshakes, but their hearts and their smiles are warm and friendly. We chat for a while about life and then they have us pray with them for peace and direction...right at that exact moment.  One of these women says “You know? I love this neighborhood”. I knew what she meant here too.

Reflecting on these three events and the vastly different circumstances that each person is in, I think to myself: “I too love this neighborhood”. There is a rich sense of humanness that I get to encounter regularly.  Each home has a different way of operating than the next.  Sure, there is a lot of brokenness, blight and sometimes downright dangerous behavior here, but there is a lot of “overcoming-ness” (if that is a word). In this neighborhood I know just about every family on my block and they know me.  They like conversation, being outside and discussing contemporary problems.  My neighborhood is a family that teaches me to find genuine joy in simple pleasures.  

Spending just a few minutes helping a kid fix their bike, take a neighbor to the auto parts store, sit and chat with ladies who are in need of a real break from life and you see some folks light up with joy. Could this be what Christ was talking about when he said “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven”? The folks here are not wealthy at all.  However, I get a sense of something greater in them for carrying the burdens they have.

So, yes, I do love my neighborhood, but not in the sense of “it is sooooo awesome” or “it’s the best thing ever” but rather like a seasoned relationship that has experienced its share of salty hardships and genuine affection mixed together.  I wouldn’t have guessed that this is where I’d be at this point in my life. However, with nearly 12 years under my belt, the relationship gets fuller with each passing season and I’d like to think that I’m a better person for it.

1 comment: