Monday, June 10, 2013

Sit Still, Stop Fidgeting


I guess I’m starting to get better at engaging change in my life, not because I have any great skill or ability, but rather because I’ve had to adapt to so much of it over the last few months.  At Mass yesterday, the homily was shared by a deacon and while he never formally gave it a title, it would seem appropriate to call it “Transition”.  The Deacon spoke very honestly about his own recent visit to the hospital...and emotionally shared how he was staring at the final transition in front of him: death. Fortunately for him, his family, friends and the parish, he did survive and was given an unforgettable tool to illustrate the many transitions that everyone experiences on a regular basis. Thanks be to God!

This homily of “transition” was well timed for me to hear since my entire morning routine had transitioned into something different.  I attended a different parish at the last minute because I had opened my schedule to allow the American Red Cross to “transition” one pint of blood out of me Sunday morning... and to my surprise, I wasn’t able to get in, get  pumping and get out in 15 minutes so as to could attend my regularly scheduled Mass, at my regular parish, with my regular friends in my regular pew.  As Keenan Thompson would say... “Whats up with that”? Well, I’m kidding of course, and actually somewhat glad at the lengthy process it takes to screen and process each blood donor.  

(On a side note, giving blood is a very interesting process to participate in.  The Red Cross staff does a very good job at meticulously managing the paperwork, the bed-side manners and the after care.  What surprised me, however, was the seemingly small population of people who can actually donate blood, making it much more important for those who can donate, to donate. So, for those of you who have never donated blood before, may I encourage you to explore this option of giving. It really is a good thing to do.)



Back to my story....... Reflecting on the many blessings that this week gave me, I’ve watched some real mile markers pass by.  In fact on June 4th my beautiful wife, Jen, and I celebrated our “Lucky 13th” wedding anniversary.  Having been married since 2000, there has been a lot of transition in me, in her, and in us.  While our personalities and thought processes are quite opposite, the interesting part is that we have this deep bond - an unexplainable connection that is so important to have in a marriage.  So, with the kids in school, we enjoyed building on this connection by having mimosa’s at a favorite breakfast cafe, then toured downtown Detroit on bicycles for nearly 16 miles, and wrapped it up with a tasty lunch at a great tavern across from the Opera House. It was an excellent treat.


On June 7th, my daughter (and 4 of her buddies) celebrated her transition of becoming a 10 year old.  She stayed up way too late, learned creative make-up skills, had too much cake and giggled herself to sleep. Several folks I know often say that kids grow up so fast. It gets old hearing it, mostly because it has been true for me.  However, when I hear those words, I secretly go back to the time when this young lady, who is in my care, was a beautiful and fragile baby.  I think to myself “out of the abundance of love and affection that my beautiful wife and I share with each other, came this darling life”. Life, growing directly out of the “overabundance” of love. What a holy reflection to embrace...

Our anniversary, and our daughters birthday was filled with all the fixings of excitement, celebration, family and fun. For me, these events also work as a reminder of the constant change that I am mentally and physically part of - changes that are irreversible. 

The reality I’m seeing is that my mind, body and faith are regularly in transition, and I’m becoming more aware of how precious my moments really are.  In fact, responsibly using the moments (or “time”) gifted to me is a critical action I need to get better at.  I like to keep busy and I tend to find windows in my schedule to fill them with something else - like pulling poison ivy from a neighbors front yard, for example.  Well, I was talking with the Pastoral Associate at my parish this past Friday and she reminded me of the importance in being still.  Then she reminded me again, probably because I was fidgeting.   Spending the last couple days reflecting on her words, I imagine how terrible it must be to not take the time of reflecting on the transitions that happen.  In other words, what good does transition offer me, if I don’t use some meaningful time to be still and reflect upon it?  

As this summer gets underway, there will be countless adventures to have - many with the opportunity to reflect upon them. My prayer is that I be still and actually do the reflecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment