Monday, June 24, 2013

Set it Free


A few days ago I was pleasantly reminded of a phrase I heard a long while back: “If you love something, then set it free”. I smiled when I heard it, because it spoke on a couple levels to me.  As a husband and father, I like to manage things in a certain way at our home that can be very useful when planning for vacations, or home projects. It can also be challenging to those around me when they wish to express thoughts, or ideas that are not on my radar. There is a balance to be had; and through gracious family members, that balance will grow in both directions.

One such example of “setting the something I love, free” is the topic of faith in our family.  Since I became public with my decision to become part of the Catholic church in March 2012, I’ve heard concerned friends and family ask about how my shift from protestantism will work within my family - when my wife would remain in the protestant understanding. Well, my beautiful wife, Jenn, and I both grew up in various protestant denominations, eventually being part of, and getting married in what is now popularly called, “Non-Denominational”.  So, I can see why folks would have this question to ask.  

I’ll be honest: from the beginning, I wanted my family to join me on this journey. To have them experience the Christian faith, with me, beyond a “spiritual” sense and into a physical, tangible and aromatic sense is indeed something I want very much.   However, it isn’t about me. True expression of faith and religion is never intended to be about any one person getting what they want. I love my beautiful wife and my awe inspiring kids. And, because I love them, I need to demonstrate this in a way that allows them the freedom to be where the Christian faith takes them.  

Getting Away This Week
Since March of 2012, we have practiced this act of “setting one another free” in our faith and it has brought interesting form to our family. My eldest son, Edan, joined the Catholic church alongside me.  My darling daughter, Aurora, has a hunger in her to be baptized.  My youngest son, Curin, loves to work in his “Orthodox Saints” coloring book, carry his rosary, and attend the evangelical church my wife attends every Sunday. I feel fortunate that we can operate in this way: being set free and setting each other free. 

While it isn’t perfect, it is part of my journey and the practice of my faith (“Second Strait”).

Continuing on on my journey this week, I’ve been able to enjoy two landmarks along the
St Mary's Cathedral - Gaylord MI
way. The first landmark this week is a personal travel goal of mine. Since coming into the Catholic church I’ve had an interest in visiting each of the seven churches in Michigan (also known as dioceses) during my sabbatical.  The church in Gaylord MI meets at St. Mary’s Cathedral with several parishes (or satellite churches) throughout northern MI.  


The second is called “Chocolate-E-Clair” cake.  This is a special dessert that I have every year, on the longest day of the year: June 21st (aka, my birthday). My mother started this tradition, and 13 years ago my wife took on the tradition.  Out of the 35 years, only once it was missed - not bad odds for something over a long period of time. It becomes even more special when the one you deeply love, loves you the same way and packs up all the ingredients (along with everything else) as you travel to northern MI for family vacation. Thank you, Jenn. You are so lovingly thoughtful and continue to set me free.

No comments:

Post a Comment