Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Heroic Prelude to Rome

Now, I know I'm not alone here...everyone has at least one hero. Some even have a literal hero that saved them from a dire circumstance. Well, over the last three days I had the chance to connect with a couple of my own heroes in a surprisingly short period of time. 

This past week I spent most of my time figuring our exchange rates, booking hostels, deciding which tours to take as well as finding the best international mobile phone plan. I pulled out my "experience bag" and examined the various travel methods/tools I've used many times before, and found myself right back in my old groove. For a [young?] guy a like me, I've been fortunate enough to visit Europe on more than one occasion, as well as travel throughout the states, and even vacationed in Mexico for a week once. So, traveling for me isn't all at intimidating.  However, pulling off a trip by myself where I don't know anyone, in a country that doesn't speak English, with temperatures very different than my native Michigan, currency that doesn't favor the dollar and then to explore it for two weeks, is a little new for me. Ah, but it is tis kind of challenge that makes me want to figure it out. 

On Thursday last week, it is fair to say that most of the details were decided upon and I was just waiting on a few things from the store and from Amazon.  So, taking a big portion of the day to reflect on my journey to Rome, Assisi, and Munich, I had the opportunity to attend the 7pm Mass at another parish in sub-urban Detroit: Our Lady of Good Counsel. The focus of last Thursday's Mass (Feast of The Assumption of Or Lady) was not totally clear to me, since about 99% of my religious life did not have much to do with Mary, and certainly the teaching of Her Assumption was never discussed, or believed to be authentic for that matter. However, as a converted Catholic I needed to reconcile this teaching of Mary and genuinely seek another vantage point.

Having arrived early for Mass, I was blessed to have my beautiful wife, Jennifer, three amazing kids, and my hero of a mother.  As I walked in, much to my surprise, I saw two people, pivotal in my life, right behind me: Uncle Jack and Aunt Maggie. These folks prayed for me, worshipped with me, and they knew my story since before I was born. They also guided me through the final RCIA stages (as caring sponsors ought to) and were there at one of the most crucial moments in my journey: Easter Vigil. With my whole family, my mother, my aunt and uncle and my cousin, we knelt together and we prayed.

As Mass begun, I was struck again watching another hero of mine, a priest, take his place for worship. Back around 2009-10 or so, some friends of mine introduced me to a series of podcasts by this same priest which could help answer some of my questions (well, issues really) about the Catholic Church. As I mentioned in my very first post on The Second Strait, I struggled with 4 specific topics, and I did not have a close relationship with any catholic that could help me with my questions.These podcasts arrived at a time in my life where a door was beginning to open on this journey. Through listening to the passionate explanation, scripture references, and ancient church practices, I "virtually" met Fr. John and it was this hero who opened the celebration of Mass. AND, I was somehow seated in a pew where he would also serve me the body of Christ during the liturgy of the Eucharist.

This whole experience created an overwhelming sense of embrace and I needed time to process it all. Embrace because I realized that, like Mary, I too will be assumed up to worship God, and also like Mary, given a new body. Embrace, because my beautiful family is worshipping with me. Embrace, because a godly man - a hero of mine - shared Christ's message with me. Thinking through this embrace, I see that God made mankind (me) in his image as a gift for Himself, and He made them (me) to be divinized! Following Mary's example of devoting her entire self to God on faith, I too am learning to do this. And, following Mary's lead again, I too will be assumed into heaven.

Digesting this experience into the next morning, I was able to have a breakfast with an Orthodox Christian friend and share what I was working through. He helped me process the ways I saw Mary as an example in the church, and then followed up with a connection to another hero of mine: Lay-speaker, Steve Ray. Not thinking much of it at the moment, we closed our time by scheduling a time to meet up again and a little later on I had lunch with another hero - Fr. Clore from my own parish. Since May 20, 2012, I have been slowly absorbing his wisdom on the ancient church, gentle redirections and kind encouraging words. As we sat and talked through another series of questions at a favorite Mexican diner, he too affirmed my path - learning about Mary and her example for the church.

By Saturday afternoon, I was basking in the timeliness of all this, when I received a call from another hero, Dorothy. I met Dorothy in 2009 by chance encounter because of a flight mishap I was experiencing. She is now 83, but as attentive as ever to the Holy Spirit. It was she who gave me my first rosary and it was her promise to pray for me as I undertook a spiritual journey. She calls semi-regularly usually around the times one of my children has a birthday, but this time she was calling to bless me and wish me safe travels to Rome. How timely again.

Now, as I sit at a somewhat empty international terminal this Sunday afternoon in Chicago and think through the experiences of the last few days, being alone is no where near my mind. How does one get the opportunity to connect with so many life shaping people - heroes - in an unplanned manner at the last minute?  That warm embrace never left me. The beautiful example of Mary still resonates in me - oh my Holy Queen, thank you.The taste of the Eucharist still jolts my taste buds - thanks Fr. John. Dorothy's laugh is still in sings in my ears. The contemplative responses still sits in my mind - thanks Fr. Clore. The hugs and prayers still keep my shoulders up - thanks Mom, Uncle Jack, and Aunt Maggie. The beautiful kiss from the lady who said yes to me more than 13 years ago, is still "sparking" its electric caress on my lips (I love you Jennifer).

And so with that, how does one not have a beautiful start to a life changing pilgrimage? To Rome...

1 comment: