Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Gelletly Story...Rinsed and Repeated...

Ever since I was a kid, my family made infrequent summer pilgrimages to the "Gelletly-Holy-Land" of Denton, MD (located in the Eastern Shore of Maryland). Aside from being a historically rich place in the mid-Atlantic, this is where many of the Gelletly people made their start in the western hemisphere.  My great-great grandfather immigrated from Scotland to London and finally to Baltimore near the end of the 19th century, and then his son (my great grandfather) moved to the eastern shore to begin a career in farming. 

As the years progressed the Gelletly family scattered through the mid-atlantic region and even to Detroit where my grandfather started our branch of the Gelletly family (around the 1930's).  When my grandfather started his own family, he often took his wife (my grandmother) and his two boys on a trek out of Detroit and headed to the family farm belonging to his father on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.  Traveling through Ohio, into Pennsylvania, avoiding the Amish buggies and dropping down from Breezewood into Maryland then either going around the Chesapeake bay or over it (this first span over the bay wasn't opened until 1952) to visit this "Holy-Land" was a highlight of their summer: to play with cousins, hear old stories, swim at Rehoboth and boat on the Choptank was how they did things. There was a story to be learned here, and these were some of the ways it was told.

Gelletly cousins Tim ( right) & Christine (center) with their families
When my dad began his own family, he took the six of us (my mom, and us four kids) on the same journey through the Appalachians and over the Chesapeake in all of 8-10 hours one way, with little stopping. We were often accompanied with my uncle, my dads only sibling, and his family.  Our wood-sided family station wagon was packed very full, similar to Chevy Chase's "Summer Vacation".  When we arrived, I remember him saying that we were doing the things that he did as a boy: crabbing, swimming, playing with my cousins...and learning the Gelletly story.

Now that I have my own family, that story was told all over again this week as I continued the same
journey through Ohio, Pennsylvania, and into Maryland. My grandparents have all passed on and my dad has been gone for almost 15 years now. However, the story continues on without em physically here.  I, along with my beautiful wife, Jenn, and our 3 amazing kids, packed up our family van and made way through the same routes that my dad and his dad took countless times, making our way back to the eastern shore.  In fact, we were accompanied by my cousin, her family and her mom and dad - my uncle.  We changed the 8-10 hour drive to include a hotel stay and made serval stops, but all in all it was the same thing.

The "Jenny" Globe, seen as a kid and now as an adult

As we traveled, the memories from previous journeys as a young boy flooded my mind with each mile and city that passed. I saw structures and places that triggered fond memories - like the sign of one company that uses a globe with "Jenny" written on it. As a young boy, I remember calling this my sisters sign, because it had her name on it. How interesting it is that the sign makes me smile 25 years later, because it now has my wife's name on it.  Other places and events came to mind like Assateague Island, shucking corn, huge chicken houses, backyard mechanics, tractors, fried fish, Grandma's bright polyester....everything (that she always made herself), the Choptank river, Rehoboth beach - each brought back memory after memory. 
Now, it's my turn to share this story with my kids. It was my turn to be dad; to plan the route, set up camp, drive to the beach, pass out sparklers and make summer meaningful.  And, this time it was them who ran around with their cousins and met extended family, while the grown-ups (supposedly me) talked and shared stories. It was them who got lots of sun at Rehoboth Beach.  It was them who asked all the questions about why Maryland and what a "first-cousin-twice-removed" is.

Beach time with (left to right): Curin, Aurora & Edan

Wile this story doesn't have an exact chapter and page count, it does have depth and meaning.  This story has color, flavor, texture and aroma. Our family story isn't limited to the characteristics of a mere book - that would be silly.  Instead, this story carries life and offers answers of tradition and context to the wonderer.  Whether my kids know it or not, they experienced this story and saw the pride of our diverse family who raises chickens for a living, has a unique position in the education world, does sales & marketing, politics, or works as a mechanic to pay the bills.  For the kids to hear all that was said, and enjoy the amazing food that everyone prepared, play with their cousins, and connect with the older generations was living the very story I was taught growing up. This is what caught my attention and reminded me to realize that all actions are being "monitored" by these young people, whether I know it or not.



Through all this, I found myself still learning new stories of my family, but mainly (surprisingly) stories about my dad.  In fact, I was even called by his name, "Gary", by a very lovely cousin - it was such a wonderful compliment. I learned that even during his suffering in his final years, he was still learning about himself, his family and his faith. I found out that he was learning what was important and what could have a lesser priority.  In order to do this, it was good for him to have his brother, cousins, aunts and uncles available to talk with. A take away for me was that being near the people you hail from, can offer many good things - including viewpoints different than your own. Obvious it may seem, I have to ask myself how often do I really listen and work through differing ideas from my own - including those from my own kin?

About 52 Gelletly's gathered for the annual family reunion.
I'm grateful for the chance to start sharing this story with my kids alongside my beautiful wife, Jennifer, which makes it our story and enables it to include another flavor in the chapter.  I realize that "family" can conjure up memories both favorable and unfavorable for many people.....well, for most people.  So, for me, knowing about my family and where we come from - the cool things Gelletly people have done - the lessons they have learned helps me to see at I am part of this group. I am important, because I am continuing to write this story with another generation under the brand of "Gelletly". By the grace of God, may my mistakes be few, and my blessings be generous.  Lord have mercy. Christ have mercy. Lord, have mercy on me.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGlkwKA-t_4, this is dedicated to your father.

    ReplyDelete