Monday, December 22, 2014

Too Much Time to Think About Heaven...and This is a Good Thing.



I hope you'll forgive this feeble attempt at some self-developed "arm-chair theology"...or maybe its better understood as arm-chair pondering of theological possibilities?

About a month ago the idea of heaven came into my mind and stuck around for a bit.....

Heaven? This place of finality? Arrival? Heaven may not be as I had thought. What if this perpetual state of worship we are in, looks like singing, praying and dancing, but it also includes building, thinking, creating, wondering, or eating? What if the one's I meet in heaven are strange looking creatures who have come to understand their role in God's kingdom and they look at me strange because I act as though I understand my role in this kingdom, but in actuality I don't? What if heaven is a continuation of my journey on earth, but in a different form and with different senses (other than taste, touch, smell, hear and see)? 

It seems plausible to think that Heaven just might be less predictable than Hell.  After all, Hell appears quite simple: absence of God - full of selfishness. However, Heaven is creation. It is all life, in all its unpredictable beauty. So, could one be more fearful of Heaven than Hell? I think that is possible - at least that would make sense to me. I think perhaps one might be better off being more afraid of Heaven than Hell. Though, not in the sense of being scared, but rather in the sense of awe and terrific surprise. Hell, it seems to me, should only invoke fear in the sense of being eternally separated from God and His creation - but not to be made light of is closeness to God, which will make one tremble in fear. These two fears distinct in themselves would seem to be appropriately at home in the soul of every human. And perhaps, this too is worship that will be carried into our journey in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment