Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mountain Top Suffering

This past weekend I had the opportunity to have an "intermission" in Munich while I take a break from the heavy contemplation that being on a pilgrimage seems to incur. During "intermission" I visited my brother and the lovely lady in his life. We ate together, drank together, and explored together. One place in particular that stretched me a bit (physically that is) was the top of Rotwand mountain, or in English "Red Wall" Mountain. This mountain rose more than 1,884 meters up (almost 6,200 feet) and required significant mental and physical focus to accomplish the task. 

Finding our trail, avoiding that fatal slip, and pushing the legs upward another step while the muscles seem to be on fire was par for this unique course. Considering myself to be relatively active, the work was hard and strenuous at times. Except when it wasn't, like arriving at the top and being rewarded with beautiful sky, good company, and then a great meal. This was exactly the kind of response one might receive (rather, should receive) after suffering through any difficult circumstances (mental note taken for future references).  Upon arrival, my humanity shifted into hyper sensitive mode: the locally brewed German Weiss beer, became the best beer I can ever remember tasting. The "average" dumplings, became the most savory meal On my pilgrimage so far. The air, seems to have taken on the newest and freshest aroma I've inhaled in a long time. The mountains looked majestic and everything down below became so simple. Heck, even my little brother seemed cool to hang out with....just kidding Sammy.





What struck me was that after experiencing this sort of physical distress and "suffering", the life around me seemed to have lit up. The difficulties weren't removed, rather priorities had shifted, and things that were important (like the food and drink for example) had a completely different flavor or experience than before. 

Keep that thought....

Returning back to my pilgrimage from this much needed "intermission" of sorts, I made my way into the medieval city of Assisi - home to a very special person I'm trying to learn about: Francis, or St Francis of Assisi. As I journeyed through his city surrounded by 1,000 year old walls and narrow roads, I spent significant time thinking about suffering. I know one individual specifically that is suffering from many physical afflictions right now and I have prayed for comfort and rest for them during my journey. But, on this suffering bit, I want to know what it is for. Why do we suffer? Isn't it better to not suffer? 

I sat and prayed quietly in the tiny chapel of San Damiano, where St Francis first heard Christ speak to him about rebuilding the Church. My head rested on the walls that he reconstructed eight centuries ago, and I looked at the cross placed there, a replica of the one that spoke to him, and I prayed "what is it about suffering, why do we do it?" As I sat there, I felt or perhaps thought of many words that seem to have come from outside me, so I began to write. Of the many things that came to mind, the first and most profound was "Suffering: may it not always be taken away, so that we might be healed".

Thinking through this thought, I have to wonder if suffering triggers healing. Through Christ. We've all been healed already - it's just a matter of activating the suffering component I think. Afterglow, suffering is inevitable - we all have it or receive it on some level. The healing part is where things get tricky. Some believe in the kind of miracles that take away suffering, some believe in science explaining anomalies. 

Perhaps, instead, suffering should be warmly embraced because it allows me (us) to center my (our) priorities and have what might be "hyper sensitive senses", which in fact might actually be (and supposed to be) what is supposed to be the norm. Tasting food and drink, breathing such fresh air, holding hands with that special loved one, smelling that aroma of life and hearing the songs of the heart is a healing I could use on a much more frequent basis. Oh how easy it is to plug those senses up with the clutter of synthesized and commercialized stimulants! And, how strange that suffering seems to unplug those pores, taste buds, and wax in my ears (figuratively speaking that is) to help me refocus on the elements of importance.



Certainly being free of affliction and distress is a miraculous thing - a good thing in fact because it testifies of the miracle of Grace available to us. However, I feel that when my journey becomes to difficult, I too often want to escape the hardship and be brought to my comfort zone of good beer, and good meal (figuratively speaking that is).  Perhaps, when suffering comes knocking, instead I need stop working so hard to alleviate it or remove it, and rather let the mystery of suffering unplug the soul and realign my focus.


No comments:

Post a Comment