Monday, April 8, 2013

Ideas, Experiences and “Journey Bumps”


Here’s a thought: For me, ideas are sort of like plants..... They start out as a single seed, or multiple seeds packaged together. Some seeds are planted, some are scattered over an area, and others never really leave the package they were purchased in. Some of those ideas begin life by sprouting roots - but no visual change is seen above ground. At this point, the idea seems very young, immature and not yet complete.  While some roots are evident, executing ideas (or demanding fruit form this immature plant) at this stage is risky, because the greater concept of what it could be may not be fully realized. Here, exercising patience really is a virtue.  Instead, one should nourish the idea with some water, sun, and the wisdom of family, friends, parents and priests. Perhaps seek out those who might not have had success at growing (executing?) a similar idea.  Let the idea ferment and become something different. Eventually it will become a living concept, which might possibly be more grand than what is shown on the picture of its packaging. 

So, this week I began living a new idea...a new identity actually: A new trade, and a new faith. And.......it was a little bumpier than I expected: the kids were [climbing the walls of my...] home all week during Easter/Spring break, the heater fan on my van decided to be underperforming and temperamental, my wallet went “missing” somewhere on Grandriver Ave., my son’s overdue homework restricted his (our) activities and someones attempt at breaking into my car resulted in a missing handle on the drivers door. Really, though, the thing that rattled me the most was that my routine was just “off”.  After all, I’m a Detroiter.  I can handle a lot of craziness, just put it in my schedule and I’ll be fine.

You think that with all the planning and strategizing that goes into taking a year off, that the first week should be the easiest and best. Not exactly the case here. However, what I learned in a very hands-on way, was that guarding ones own time is crucial. Even when I have plans and I can articulate exactly what I am going to ultimately accomplish; if I don’t guard my minutes, they wind up going to some "passed-due" emergency that is someone else's problem - which I’ve adopted.

Change of gears...
Celebrating Easter this past week was monumental for me.  If you read last week’s post, you’ll know that I’ve been exploring the ancient Christian faith for several years.  On March 31st, I was brought before my community of parishioners, family, friends, and strangers to taste God, to smell God, and to touch God through ancient sacraments of Grace. It felt like a wedding. Tasted like a birthday. Sounded like July 4th (Independence Day), and Smelled like spring - and I won’t trade that moment for anything.  Now that I am part of this mysterious “ancient communion of saints”, it feels like I’ve added another necessary piece of luggage to carry out my sabbatical of faith and journey. 

As I embark on this journey into a new week, I do so with the compliments of many strangers. Several of whom I’ve met at a community of christians in the distant northwest suburbs of Detroit. These strangers became warm smiles, cheering us on as we shared the story of the work that is being done in my Detroit community. I find it interesting that, despite our differences, there is so much good in what we are focused on.  They are cheering us on with all kinds of support. We are pushing forward with all kinds of passion. It is good to recognize and appreciate that some are called to be the engine that moves an idea forward, and others are called to be the fuel that keeps the engine (or idea) turning.  It begs self-reflection for a moment: what am I? Am I moving ideas forward with demonstrated patience and kindness? Perhaps I am collecting and distributing “fuel” to support others so that they can move ideas forward. Either way, we are all equipped can (and probably should) seek out meaningful work in either camp.

So, to wrap up, I will reflect on the ancient words that I pray would keep me in check each time I feel the need to whack someone over a broken door handle, “missing” wallet, overdue homework, or just a bumpy experience... “For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world”.

1 comment:

  1. I got your back! Keep writing, keep praying, and keep planting seeds...

    ReplyDelete