Monday, April 29, 2013

Here's an Idea



Developing things is a delicious process, especially when those things have malt, grain, water, hops, and yeast.  By themselves, these fruits of the field fill our pantries with food so we can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner - which is better than not eating breakfast, lunch or dinner. However, when they are added with other ingredients, mixed into something bigger than itself...or better yet, fermented...this developed “fruit of the field” nurtures a memorable experience with those I am around.

We are all “bettered” from eating three meals a day, but something more comes of it when we develop those ingredients into another idea. Take bread and wine for example: When I have a gathering, and responsibly introduce these developed ingredients, the gathering develops into fellowship. Conversation, community and connection begins to happen amongst my guests, and many have shared how they experience real relationship - with me and others - after spending time over this developed meal. We all see evidence of this at weddings, holiday celebrations, or various feasts throughout the year.  Obviously, it’s no secret that I am a social person that likes good beer and good wine. That is because bad beer and bad wine takes a lot longer to drink. 

Developed Pears (L) & Oktoberfest (R)
This week I was given a large amount of pears to do something with, which was better than letting them go to waste.  I had the chance to start the development of fermenting these pears, and convert them into 24 jars of sauce and 4 gallons of wine.  Additionally, I’ve had an Oktoberfest recipe sitting on my shelf for a while, and I started the process of developing the ingredients into what should be close to 5 gallons of a fairly tasty beverage in another couple of months. My basement office (which, for the last five years, had been used as a place of forecasting, typing, conference calling and the like for wonderful companies I was employed at) has now been developed into a small chemistry lab complete with tubes, hoses, glass carboys, and 6 1/2 gallon fermentation containers. This developed office is really wonderful because, while my beautiful wife Jennifer appreciated my hard work as a former Account Exec., I think she is easier to lure into my office-turned-lab when it is filled with alcohol. I wish I had developed that office-to-lab conversion much sooner...

Now, if you’ve made it this far reading my entry, you are probably seeing a thread of thoughts that are not alcohol related: Development and Betterment. If your thoughts are elsewhere, you should probably talk to someone about them. Here is where I am going with this:

On Tuesday of last week, my beautiful wife Jenn and I took a tour of a local Community Development Corporation in Detroit. Their executive director is a very talented woman who knows a lot about community development, margaritas, and vacuums.  For the last 18 years she and her husband have built an infrastructure of employment, workshops, tools-for-loan, home renovations and countless other meaningful programs for their community.  They are now working on an aquaponics effort to farm fish for their new garden installation for new local economic development. On our tour, we were introduced to some of the staff, saw their very own produce store, and even where the best places are to sit and enjoy a good margarita. 

The big take away for me was listening to her explain the concept of going beyond “bettering” someone, to “developing” someone. Handing out a bowl of soup, loaf of bread, or clothes to wear is a terrific thing to do. In fact, the recipient is better for it. However, the development of that person is what their organization is aimed at doing.  This development takes time, but most of all, relationship - and genuine relationships aren’t formed overnight. Developing someone to learn the real value of the soup, bread, or the clothes is a longer process. However, the result has more fruitful returns: the recipient can gain dignity, respect, and even healing. That same recipient can even start to produce soup, bread and clothes for themselves and the community around them.

Jenn and I appreciated the lesson of “betterment-development” and made our way home. We thought about this wonderful mentor, who unbeknownst to us, would cause us to develop our own thoughts about the work we do.  Thinking a lot about development in our own community, as well as a margarita on the rocks, we took a challenge to explore our own actions during routine tasks so we could see how we might be used to develop those around us - our kids, neighbors, family and friends. 

So, this week I hope to add “development thinking” instead of “betterment thinking” into my routine - whether I am enjoying the smell of fermenting pears, or coaching some neighborhood kids on care and respect of our community. Maybe this new way of thinking is the “developed” change I need to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment